Pages

Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Old toy chest checked off



Yeah! I can finally check something off my "to do" list. I have had this old toy chest sitting around half finished for a couple years now. My grandfather had it made for me when I was about three years old, so I have a special attachment to it. It was lookin' pretty plain and beat up, but I couldn't bring myself to get rid of it. I wish I had some before pics, but it started out as a plain wooden box(see pic above). I painted it a blue color about two years ago, but it still didn't look nice enough to put anywhere. So...I was inspired my all the crafty do-it yourself blogs out there and decided to spice it up with some trim, legs and a distressed finish.



Finally with some nice weather this weekend and some kid-free time (they were busy playing outside), I attached the trim with Gorilla Glue and some small finishing nails. I'll have to admitt my hubby helped me mitar the corners properly. I gave it a fresh coat of cream colored paint right over the blue that was on there, and sanded the edges so some of the blue would show through. I used Gorilla Glue to attach the bun feet and then put some screws through the bottom to secure them. I brushed on some Ralph Lauren sm0ke glaze, this suggestion compliments of Shanty2Chic, and it turned out lovely - I especially love the trim. I've found the perfect place for it at the end of my bed as a blanket chest! What do you think?



I'm so excited that I got this finished in time to post for the Gorilla Glue party tomorrow at Shanty2Chic. Can't wait to see all the crafty ideas!


Shanty 2 Chic

2 comments:

  1. Yep, I'm loving it. Looks so great at the end of your bed...so sa-weet that it holds such meaning for you :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is beautiful! I love the way people have the patience to refinish and restore cool things like that. My friend just started this website called http://www.widwi.com you should check it out! They have great contests and it's there to show off such beauty as this!

    I enjoy your blog, keep it up!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments truly make posting worth-while for me! Thank you so much and be assured I read each and every comment! I would love to answer each and everyone, but I have a hard enough time just posting. If you have specific questions or just want to touch base, please email me! Blessings!

There was an error in this gadget