Pages

Sunday, November 22, 2009

Recycle your Tide Boxes

I hate throwing them away...they are so sturdy, have a nice little handle, and are a great size. So here's what I came up with. I needed some storage boxes for all our VHS tapes (I know, those are old school, but we still have them), and it's hard to find a storage box that will hold the VHS with the case. The tide box stores nine of them perfectly so I decided to give one a make-over. It turned out so cute, I think I'll have to do more! Here's what I did:




I vacuumed out all the leftover soap and wipe the inside clean with a damp cloth. Then I reinforced the sides, top and edges with clear packing tape. Next, I gave it a light coat of spray paint and let that dry.





I picked three coordinating scrapbook papers from Hobby Lobby and cut them to fit the sides of the box. Using a foam brush, I gave the the sides a good coat of Mod Podge and attached the paper. I used a crayon to make a reverse rubbing of the handle area on the top so I could cut it to fit.






After the box and the top was covered, I added some accents with the coordinating paper. Then I gave the whole box a final coat of Mod Podge to give it that shiny smooth finish. After the Mod Podge was dry, I reinforced the edges again with clear tape so the paper wouldn't wear with use.




I attached some ribbon that I already had with my Fabri-Tac. I love this glue, and used it for years...it works like magic on just about anything. I cover the cute little handle in Fabri-Tac and wrapped it in the leftover ribbon.





Then I attached one of those nifty little wooden ovals you get from Hobby Lobby. Of course, I painted and labeled it first, and then glued it on with my Fabri-Tac.




She's all done. Of course now I'm thinking of what else I could use these for.....what a cute gift box, small toy storage, art supplies, magazines, even decoupaged for Christmas........ I'd love to hear your ideas.


I'll be posting at these crafty blogs for Monday:


Making







13 comments:

  1. what a great idea:) Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Soooo very cute...We have loads of VHS tapes too. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very Creative! Thanks so much for the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So adorable!
    I almost wish we had some VHS's lying around!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is amazing! What a great idea! This would be so expensive in a store! Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fun and pretty way to recycle!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh wow! This is just too cute! Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great idea! I love it when you can reuse trash!

    ReplyDelete
  9. WoW! This project turned out SO cute! Thanks for sharing the great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great way to use those boxes! Thanks for sharing! They came out great by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, yea! I save one of these and haven't yet done anything with it. Thanks for the inspiration.

    Nelly

    ReplyDelete

Your comments truly make posting worth-while for me! Thank you so much and be assured I read each and every comment! I would love to answer each and everyone, but I have a hard enough time just posting. If you have specific questions or just want to touch base, please email me! Blessings!

There was an error in this gadget