Pages

Monday, May 24, 2010

Recycled Decoupaged Vases


In the parable of the sower (Luke 8:11) Jesus says, "The seed is God's word" because it causes us to grow and be like Jesus. Our May Missions Project for the children at our church is to help raise money to help fund Bible translations of the New Testament for the Dadiya people of Nigeria. The older kids were challenged to create their own fundraiser, so we decided to do this as a family project and get a little crafty. They turned out so cute, I had to share! I got this idea from my friend Julie after seeing the cutest decoupaged containers in her kitchen....she was kind enough to share with me how she created them.


We started off collecting some old glass containers; jars, frappuccino and beer bottles (hey, we'll take what we can get).


Next, we picked out some cute scrapbook papers and decoupaged them to the bottles using Mod Podge. And yes, I think the kids had the most fun peeling the glue off their hands. After the glue dried, we applied a coat of Triple Thick, then added some jute, raffia and ribbons for accents. My neighbor kindly donated some flowers, since ours have already bloomed and died, for the final touch. We plan on selling these this week around our neighborhood. Pray that we will raise enough money to buy three verses-one for each of my girls. It takes $26 to translate each verse. We made eight vases total so hopefully we can get donations of $10 each.



We would love your prayers that God will guide and bless the efforts of the translation team, that the Dadiya kids and families will be blessed by God's word, and that they will share his word and love with others. To see a video on the Dadiya People click here. For more information on, or to donate to the Jesus Film translations, click here. For more information on donating to help translate the New Testament into other languages, click here. The Jesus Film is offered in over 1000 languages, and there's also a children's version. You can watch the Jesus film in your language, by clicking by on the film/media tab at www.jesusfilm.org. If you want to know more about Jesus, click here.

The Girl Creative








6 comments:

  1. My daughter will love to make these! Recycled art is one of her favorite mediums. Thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is great. i have ooodles of jars/bottles and am on a Mod Podge kick right now. LOVE that you're "busy about our Father's work". God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just love this idea... I know this is something my two older children would love to do and what a great Christmas present it would make. just have to find the equivalent of mod podge and triple thick here in australia - smile!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this ! I keep spaghetti jars all the time to put fresh flowers in... what a great way to revamp them. These would make awesome and fun Christmas gifts!

    Sharing this with my Facebook readers!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments truly make posting worth-while for me! Thank you so much and be assured I read each and every comment! I would love to answer each and everyone, but I have a hard enough time just posting. If you have specific questions or just want to touch base, please email me! Blessings!

There was an error in this gadget