Pages

Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Yes, I'm still alive


I know, I know, I was quite embarrassed when I saw that my last post was mid-April. I've even lost three readers : ( Thank you all those that are hanging in here. I have been busy....but fairly focused. Have all you moms been as swamped as me in May??


Last weekend alone we had a basketball tournament, a gymnastics meet, a piano recital and a birthday party. My husband and I were exhausted. In the past month, we've also hosted a princess birthday party, created a science fair project, helped with school mini Olympics, driven for service projects and field trips, plus had a wonderful 15 year anniversary weekend get-away.....not to mention all our regular activities and homework.


To keep my sanity, I have been working some on a couple different projects in the midst of all the chaos. I'm almost finished reclaiming my back porch--can't wait to show you that. Also, I'm almost done refinishing a buffet hand-me down. And, yes, I'm still working on my chairs....I've started number four of six. I had one reader request a tutorial on recovering the chairs so I'm posting that today. Disclaimer: I'm no PRO, and have definitely seen more professional tutorials than this one, but I can show you how I did it.


First, turn your chairs over and unscrew the cushion from the frame. Fortunately, that was the simple part for me. I pulled the old upholstery off just by tugging gently. I had two layers of upholstery underneath but I only removed one-the bottom one was very thin. This is were you could add some extra cushion with batting if you wanted.

I used a heavy duty staple gun. As you can see from the pic above, the people before me used upholstery nails. I usually like to leave a little more fabric around the edges, but the fabric I got was a remnant and I wanted to make sure I have enough for all six chairs.


I started in the middle and stapled the center on each side, pulling the fabric tight. Work your way around each side, going from the middle to the corners.


The corners are just like wrapping a present. Just make sure you position the staples so you can screw the cushion back into the frame. That's how I did it...pretty simple!


I've also been trying to oil paint at least one full day a week, so I'll share a couple of my most recent paintings. One was inspired from my fabulous anniversary weekend get-away in Laguna Beach, California. I painted this from the picture that I took above.


Sunset at Laguna


Flower still life


Daisies up close


Good morning Rooster

Hope to see you at some parties this week!

1 comment:

  1. Welcome back mama!! You really lost three followers??? I didn't know people did that, ugh:( Love this tutorial, great job!!

    Cara

    ReplyDelete

Your comments truly make posting worth-while for me! Thank you so much and be assured I read each and every comment! I would love to answer each and everyone, but I have a hard enough time just posting. If you have specific questions or just want to touch base, please email me! Blessings!

There was an error in this gadget