Pages

Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Homemade rustic frames


I wish I could also take credit for the photography here, but my neighbor took this beautiful photo, and she's not even a professional. I had to have a frame for it, but didn't want to spend big bucks for the look I was going after, so here is the result of my "el cheapo" idea.



I purchased a ready made 16 x 20 unfinished wood frame at Michaels for 40% off (about $7)
Purchased a large sheet of unfinished birch bead board from Home Depot (around $38-but keep in mind I can make about 6 to 8 frames out of this depending on the sizes). Then I went to Savers and picked up some old wood frames in smaller sizes (.99 cents each).


Cut your bead board to the size of the largest frame (in this case I cut it to fit a 16 x 20). Stain all the woods, paint and add glaze/distressing. Then glue all the pieces together. The only downside is that in order to change the picture you have to pop off the smaller frame from the bead board backing. I just attached it with drops of hot glue in each corner so it would be easier to remove. I'm planning on making a whole collection of these!

See you this week at these fun get-togethers:





giveaways

CreativeShareWednesdays


Photobucket

9 comments:

  1. It looks great! I love beadboard.
    I'm having a Scentsy giveaway on my blog. Love it if you could join! alittleknickknack.blogspot.com

    Have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love to have you join me tomorrow over at our Sassy Sites blog party! It's our Feature YOU Friday! Come by and check it out! xoxo

    Marni
    @ Sassy Sites!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for joining our blog hop over at Sassy Sites! There are some amazing blogs out there, and you are definetly one of them! I'm a follower of yours too! Happy Friday! xoxo

    Marni @ Sassy Sites!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is adorable. I love the frame...it's so rustic and classic looking at the same time. Great job on the finishing work...it looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Maybe you could try using velcro for the front small frame so you can pop it off more easily.

    Super cute! And, I have 2 sheets of bead board sitting in my garage just waiting to be repurposed!

    Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this idea - thanks so much for sharing!

    I posted a link on my blog:
    http://slidingdownthestairs.blogspot.com/2010/10/sunday-inspiration-creative-photo.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a brilliant idea!! It looks so good and or a great price! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Truly beautiful. Thanks for sharing. Love those picture frames

    ReplyDelete

Your comments truly make posting worth-while for me! Thank you so much and be assured I read each and every comment! I would love to answer each and everyone, but I have a hard enough time just posting. If you have specific questions or just want to touch base, please email me! Blessings!

There was an error in this gadget