Pages

Sunday, June 12, 2011

Easy Burlap Patriotic Door Decor Tutorial


If you've followed me for awhile, you know that I can't sew. I wish I could! I wish I had the time and patience to learn, but for now, a good stapler and Fabri-Tac are my best friends! I was in Hobby Lobby the other day and my oldest commented that we need to buy some sort of decoration for our front door for the Fourth of July. Surprised that she has not yet developed her DYI brain, I suggested a project for our hot summer day. Here's a super EASY (promise!) project tutorial that you can even do with your kids and it turns out so adorable-no sewing required! It's even kind-of green since we use recycled plastic grocery bags for stuffing!


I purchased 2-yards of red burlap, which was more than enough. I have plenty left over for another project. I folded the burlap in half length-wise and drew out my design with chalk. I wanted a whimsical look so I didn't strive for perfection in my star. Next, I cut out our stars.


My little helpers stamped polka dots with acrylic paint. Note to self: not a good project to do on your wood floors! The paint bleeds through so make sure you put paper underneath. Also, with the red burlap, the dye turns the white kind-of pink, so we had to do another application after it dried.


Let your paint dry. Another note to self: Do not dry outside with the dogs unless you want them to play tug of war with your star. Yes, I had to make one over thanks to my canine family members ; )


Staple all edges but leave a small opening so you can stuff. I started to glue first with Fabri-Tac and then reinforce with staples, but decided I didn't really need to glue it-the staples work just fine by themselves. Pull out your recycled plastic grocery bags and stuff away. Tip: Little hands come in super handy when stuffing the corners.



I stapled on a grosgrain ribbon as a hanger and added a cute sparkle bow to the top. The possibilities are endless-you could use jute, ric-rac, wire and beads, etc....


Happy Fourth of July!
(Now, I need to work on filling those pots ;p )


You also need to check out my friend Melony's new blog called Cleverly Creative Girl. She is just getting started, but already has some yummy recipes, creative ideas, and I love her spin on door decorations! She applied her clever creativity to my pumpkin door decor tutorial. I just love all her designs!












craft


Funky Junk's Saturday Nite Special

6 comments:

  1. Visiting from BNOTP, that is so cute, I love that it is not perfect! What a great idea!

    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this idea! Your stars look so bright and cheerful on your door and are just perfect for the 4th!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love these, Stacy! So festive for the 4th of July! I just love burlap (and stars). Haven't decided what I'm making for July 4th yet. Your star is so cute, I may have to borrow this idea. Thank you for mentioning my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. In the last month or so I have grown to LOVE burlap! These are amazing and look great on the door! If you have time come over and check out some of the things I made with burlap in my GIFTS GALORE post at kissedbyafrog.blogspot.com
    I will be following to see what other cuteness you creat!
    Jenni

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Tuesday!

    Lovely project~ a true metamorphosis.

    If you get a chance, please stop by my blog and enter the giveaway.

    ReplyDelete
  6. burlap, no sew, not cheesy 4th of July decoration-= AWESOME!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments truly make posting worth-while for me! Thank you so much and be assured I read each and every comment! I would love to answer each and everyone, but I have a hard enough time just posting. If you have specific questions or just want to touch base, please email me! Blessings!

Share it