Pages

Friday, March 12, 2010

A weekend of painting


I had a wonderful opportunity last weekend to do an oil painting workshop with Arkansas artist Barry Thomas. If you haven't heard of Barry, you're missing out-check out his art at at www.barrythomasart.com. I love to paint, but I've never had any "formal" training with oils, so I learned so much. I got to paint from 9-5 on Saturday, and 12-5 on Sunday. It was truly like a retreat, and I'm so thankful my husband took on the single parent role for the whole weekend so I could do this class. Thought you might like to see the paintings I did.


This was the first painting he had us do. It was a value study using only black, yellow ochre, burnt sienna and white. We were supposed to focus on painting the
values and shapes, not so much the details.


Here's the final result of my second painting.
He wanted us to focus on value still, but add in other colors.


Here's the set up for our third painting. When he set this up and said to start painting, I felt like I was going to throw up. I had that hot wave of panic sweep over my whole being. I said a little prayer and tried not to "think" too much and started painting. Here's the finished piece.
Note that Barry walked around the whole time and helped us with our composition,
brush strokes, color, etc. I love the way it turned out.


We did these three paintings the first day. I can't tell you how much I learned.
On Sunday the weather was beautiful, so we went outside by his pond. I wish I had taken a picture of the beautiful "real life landscape", but here's my final painting. Barry helped me a lot on this, so I'm not real comfortable saying it's mine. It's going to take TON of
practice for me to duplicate a painting like this all by myself.
Learning and participating in the process though was priceless!


Hope you have a great weekend!

4 comments:

  1. What a gorgeous painting! I love the firey colors in the foreground next to the light blue relection of the water. What a great workshop - wish I lived closer to take it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing your beautiful work. I don't know the correct "term" but I love the look of what you did. The roses, sunflowers and the landscape are simply beautiful and look like true works of art to me;-)

    Blessings,
    Jilly

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, wow! These are so pretty! You did a very very nice job. I would totally put the one of the roses in my kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful! I really love the brushstrokes on the roses. I wish I could let loose a bit like that. The final painting is extraordinary! The water is amazing and I love the bright colors along the bottom! Bravo!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments truly make posting worth-while for me! Thank you so much and be assured I read each and every comment! I would love to answer each and everyone, but I have a hard enough time just posting. If you have specific questions or just want to touch base, please email me! Blessings!

There was an error in this gadget