Pages

Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Cross T-shirts (recycled)

One of my friends had on the cutest t-shirt the other day so I decided that I had to figure a way to make one for myself. She had gotten hers at an annual local craft show for about $25. So here's my method--it was so simple. And, what a great way to recycle an old t-shirt (can you see my grease spot below?)-- or buy a new one if you're making it for a gift. Now I'll be buying up all the t-shirts on clearance!




You'll need: cotton t-shirt (mine was 95% cotton, 5% spandex), bleach, duct tape, scissors, spray bottle, hair dryer, wax paper.






First, put the wax paper inside the shirt so the bleach won't bleed through. Next, fill your spray bottle with bleach (1/2 bleach/1/2 water mix)-you don't need a lot. My spray bottle sprayed more of a "stream"-next time I'm going to try more of a "mist" one. Tape your cross on the shirt-you don't even have to make sure the edges are straight.
Now, a small section at a time, spray the bleach about 1/4 to 1/2 inch to the side of the tape (it will bleed up to the tape and under the tape some, so this leaves extra room for bleeding). Spray a little at a time (DO NOT OVER SATURATE) ---wait to see how much it bleeds before adding more. Immediately dry section with your hair dryer and move onto the next. Let dry completely before washing. Grease spot gone! For an updated version click here.


I'm gonna do a party post on:
Funky Junk's Saturday Nite Special











6 comments:

  1. My daughter would love that. Great idea. Great looking shirt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a super cool idea and just perfect for my nieces and nephews!! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Cheap Chic Home. That is adorable. I'm glad to see the bleach didn't hurt the spandex either.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My teens will love this! Thanks for sharing :o)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cool! I admit I wasn't sure on how this would transpire early on, but the end result is adorable! Very today.

    Thanks for linking up to SNS!

    Funky Junk Donna

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am not a crafter, but I certainly could handle this idea! Thinking my kids might like it too. Thanks for stopping by my site!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments truly make posting worth-while for me! Thank you so much and be assured I read each and every comment! I would love to answer each and everyone, but I have a hard enough time just posting. If you have specific questions or just want to touch base, please email me! Blessings!

There was an error in this gadget